Monday, December 12, 2005

Oasis Fun

Dec. 10
I've heard that it has been super cold at home lately. For this reason, I won't be able to bring Kanela home with me just yet. The airlines won't fly animals if the temps are below 45 degrees. Mom says she might come back to Peru in May, so we can travel a few weeks together through Argentina and Chile. She'll then take Kanela back to the states with her and I'll travel north through Colombia with my friend, Victoria.

My plans to leave in March are quickly being pushed farther and farther back. I just have so many things to get done, it seems like. I still want to do the Huayhuash, a 10 day trek, here in Ancash. Since the rains are here, I'll have to wait til April to get it in my schedule. Plus a group of PCVs from my group are planning a last hoorah for then as well. I can't be missing out on that.

My ankle is still weak and blue, but doing much better. I thought I would try to run a bit tomorrow to see if I'll be OK for the 8K on Sunday.

My tutoring classes with the comedor have come to a close because the kids are on summer break. The orphanage has me lined up to do all kinds of interesting things in the new year. I'm pretty pumped about it all. They're interested in a relaxation workshop for the house mothers. I was thinking maybe classes on meditation and massage would be helpful for them. Then for the four infants in the house, they would like me to do something with early stimulation. Seems they have poor reflexes and motor skills. Sadly, the house mothers just don't have time to work with them. Plus, I'll be doing my standard self-esteem and leadership work with the adolescents.

I'm feeling the anxiety of wanting to get on that plane. I've been picking up random Christmas gifts this morning and buying my bus tickets into Lima. Just another week, if I can make it.

Dec. 8
We've done eight theater shows since Sunday. Hiking in and out of communities, doing two or three shows a day, plus my boss from Lima is here on an extended site visit, so I have crawled into bed exhausted at night.

Being productive and staying busy has its own rewards. Since I only have 12 more days till I get home, I prefer to have my days filled as to not spend so much time wishing time would speed up so I can get on a plane.

I’ve been asked by my boss to help with a new project plan for our group, Youth Development. I really am excited. It's quite an honor. I will be traveling to all of the Youth Development PCVs sites after the New Year. "Best Practices" is the theme and it will be my responsibility to interview and document such activities for the upcoming training and new project plan. The work will allow me to release some of my responsibilities in the orphanage and comedor.

I haven't had much time to prep for going home. I've bought a few things that I've seen in the market that I thought would make good Christmas gifts and that is about it. My host mom left last night to spend the holidays with her family in Lima. I already miss her. She is such a sweetie.

Dec. 3
Ultimate was so fun yesterday! I was on fire chasing down the long tosses. I made a miraculous back-handed catch after diving into the in-zone. All was great until I hit a hole and twisted my ankle. There was a big crack and I crumbled in pain. Fortunately, it has only swollen up a bit and is now a nice purple color. I put ice on it right afterwards and took some ibuprofen, that seemed to help. What is it with me? I evidently don't feel right if I don't have some nasty bruising somewhere. We had our book club meeting this morning and it was a blast. Cafe Andino outdid themselves with free drinks and appetizers. We had juice, coffee, guacamole, taquitos, and french toast. All that for just showing up! The discussions didn't become so heated, but it was neat to see what others' impressions and interpretations of certain themes turned out to be. Our next selection is Wicked. A novel somewhat about the Wizard of Oz but told from the Wicked Witch's view.

Nov. 30
Since it's not like me to break tradition, I have spent most of the day in bed. This altitude readjustment is no fun. Maybe I should ask about altitude medicine. Or on second thought, it does make for a good excuse to be lazy, read, and drink tea all day long. Last night's bus ride was most eventful. There's an unusual cold front in the mountains, so I just about froze my buns off plus we broke down midway. We had to wait a couple of hours on another bus to pick us up.
My new glasses are super sharp. I almost forgot to pick them up last night and had to make a mad dash to the store before going to catch my bus. I think I'll stock up on glasses while I am here. They are so cheap, as in cost efficient. Here's to hoping that they hold up.

I caught an episode of the Amazing Race before I left. It looks like they are playing in teams of three or more now. Plus, I saw the latest Survivor episode. I could so do that. Maybe I’ll apply.

Nov. 28
I did indeed run my 45 minutes this morning, or close to an hour. Actually, I'm not really sure. I thought I started my watch, ran for what felt like about 25 minutes, then looked down to realize it still said 00:00. At that point, I turned it on for real and ran 35 more minutes. It was a hot, sunny day and it felt good to stretch my legs. I do have exactly three weeks to prepare for the 8K, but I think I have it whipped.

In the afternoon, I headed to the mall and ordered myself a new pair of glasses, a smart new pair of rimless ones. Then enjoyed a Starbucks and shopping with another PCV pal. Tonight, unfortunately, I'm the only PCV left at the embassy family's house. Everyone else has returned to their sites. It will be nice to see some reality TV since all the guys have been monopolizing the tube all weekend with football.

The book that was chosen for the book club is Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. I have read it and loved it, not only because it's very southern but because it has some great social issues that contradict that time period in the south.

Nov. 27
Today has been spent lazily, like most of my Sundays in this country. We got back to Lima around 4:00 AM and went to the PC office, as not to disturb the embassy family so early. I immediately crashed on the floor and found four more hours of sleep, while my comrades got in some Internet time. After we made it back to our host's house, I bummed around the house, doing laundry and watching TV. I only made it back outdoors this afternoon to go to the cinema to see Zorro. An entertaining film, that was somewhat comical in a cheesy way.

The 8K has been postponed for December 18. Someone was looking out for me, because I couldn't have asked for a better change. That gives me two full weeks to prepare, starting tomorrow. I was thinking of getting up and going for a long run, probably around 40-45 minutes. I haven't ran since Thanksgiving day and my body is itching to be active again.

I have already started my personal Christmas shopping from here. I've ordered new Chacos. This could get addictive.

Nov. 26
I can't even hardly begin to describe my day. It really has been, if not one of the best then, at least one of the most exciting days I have had so far in this country.

Our day started out super early, around 6:00 AM, we were picked up and taken to Pisco, a town about an hour from Ica. From there, we boarded a boat to tour the Ballestas Islands. I really had no idea what we were going to experience. When we saw the first sea lion, I honestly felt like I had stepped onto the pages of National Geographic. To hear them roar and just to see literally thousands of majestic animals playing and swimming, it almost took my breath away. We were treated to views of fantastic rock formations jutting out of the ocean and even saw a family of penguins, not to mention, thousands of near extinct birds swarming over head.

From the islands, we headed back to Ica for a tour of the local vineyards. Ica is mostly famous for the wine and liquor that they make locally. At this point, I felt like I had stepped onto the movie "A Walk in the Clouds" with Keanu Reeves where he works on a vineyard in Mexico. We, of course, indulged in tastings and ended up with several bottles to take home. My favorite was a Pisco Cream, kind of like Baileys.

From there, we headed to Huacachina, a literal oasis in the middle of a desert. After huge dunes of pure sand and desert, we encountered this tiny town around a little lake. In the dunes, we loaded our sand boards and boarded dune buggies for one crazy, exhilarating ride over the desert. I had no idea such extreme adventure existed. The drivers climb then race down the dunes, while we were screaming our lungs out.

The sand boarding was done on our stomachs. While we could have sand boarded standing up, for us it became more like bobsledding. Supposedly, we reached speeds of 100 kilometers per hour. I honestly don't doubt it. Everything was going well and we were high on life from the craziness of the day, until my PCV pal went down the last dune and somehow flew off her board and rolled the rest of the way to the bottom. She immediately said her wrist was broken. From other passengers in our buggy, we then heard that accidents were quite frequent and that even deaths in the last couple of months have been reported. By the time we made it back to Ica, thankfully she reported her arm was doing better. I'm sure that had to do with the fact that she swallowed three ibuprofen. I'm just glad we made it back out alive.

Nov. 25
You can find me tonight in Ica, oasis of the desert, about five hours south of Lima. Ica is famous for its wine and Afro-Peruvian heritage. Today's traveling has been pretty tranquilo. We found a decent hostel and set ourselves up with a tour of the sand dunes and islands for tomorrow. Supposedly, it's the "Poor man's Galapogos" and I'll get a view of penguins, sea lions, and dolphins.

I called my brother, parents, grandparents, and cousins to bid them a Happy Turkey Day yesterday. It's great to catch up, I should do it more than just on the major holidays.

Visiting with the marines was interesting and informative. It's a little crazy to think that we're all about the same age, in the same country, working for the same government, yet from different perspectives on how to "make the world a better place." I think it was good for us to share our realities. In the end, I think that the marines probably just consider us a bunch of granola tree huggers.

Nov. 23
Just as I suspected it would, being in Lima around other PCVs that I've missed, is making my Thanksgiving break a happy and relaxing one. We're currently just chilling in the PC office listening to some good tunes and enjoying vanilla macadamia nut coffee. When our comrades from Northern Peru get here, we'll be off to the embassy hosts for Turkey Day preparations.

The self-esteem workshop went off without a hitch. Over 20 adolescents showed up and seemed to enjoy the activities. We drew our "personal flags" and made a "strength tree" with leaves describing our strengths as individuals. My favorite part was the ice-breaker game of musical chairs, played to the tune of Gwen Stefani's Holla Back.

Nov. 22
I've been busy this morning preparing for a little self-esteem workshop for some kiddies in Anta, a PCV friend's site, that I'll be doing this afternoon. Hopefully, the kids show up.

Last night, I had a small "break down" after calling home. I probably shouldn't mention such nonsense, since I usually try to stay upbeat and positive when I write, as to continue with the perception that things are always hunky-dory with me here. But the truth of it is, some days just suck being away from home. I know it's that I'm anxious to start Thanksgiving vacation, but even those thoughts become heavy if I dwell on them too long. My family's yearly traditions with the turkey, black-eyed peas, mashed potatoes, watching ball games on TV, playing board games, and snoozing in the recliner just sound so great.

Today is much sunnier as I prepare to leave on a bus tonight for Lima with another PCV. The Fargo's are having a huge Thanksgiving meal and nine other PCVs will be there with me to celebrate. Then I'll get to enjoy a few vacation days in Ica and Nazca. In just 27 days, I can enjoy the holidays and America for real.

Nov. 20
The honey harvest celebration was painfully exciting. I was stung 3,000 times. OK, only 8 times, but it feels like thousands. Let's just say that the honey harvesting got a little bit out of control. A group of us went to Vicos last night, so we could hike up to the beehives super early this morning. I slept on a dirty floor and noticed just as the light was turned off that we had a couple of rats for bed buddies. The wheat bread and barley water they called coffee was hardly enough for energy to hike two hours straight up the mountain.

The harvesting had already begun when we arrived. We helped with scraping the gum off the comb, then spinning it in the harvester. All was great until another PCV had a small panic attack from all the bees and started running around with his arms flailing. This only managed to entice the bees further, getting them stirred up and crazy. Kanela and I headed for the hills (literally) but got some battle wounds, nonetheless.

With Thanksgiving coming up next week, we had our last theater practice yesterday. Our next performances are during the first week of December. Our big boss from Lima will be making the trip to see it. We'll be dancing this time to "Eye of the Tiger" and making grand fools of ourselves.

Nov. 18
I worked the moss off my buns today. Ultimate was, as usual, a whole lot of fun. My team won the first game then we got beat 9-11 in the second. I was the only gal on the field. To top off my exhaustion, I ran the 40 minutes back to town.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be busy in the morning with the theater group. We're preparing the dance scene for our gender equality skit. Then in the afternoon, I head to Vicos, the little town where my family and I stayed during their visit. With the money we paid them for our stay, they bought a honey harvester. I've been especially invited to join in on the first batch.

Nov. 17
It's already below freezing at home. It's warming up here. In fact, I slept with my bedroom door open to catch a breeze last night and made Kanela keep to her side of the bed.

I worked at my desk all day on an essay for grad school, due on November 20. I'm applying to a program called the Mississippi Teachers Corps. The MTC was founded by a Returned PCV and places recipients in poor Mississippi public schools as teachers while providing salary, 100% tuition, and absolutely all costs toward a Masters in Education at Ole Miss.

All of the jobs that I've found online within the non-profit, social work arena have administrators with Masters in Education degrees. Plus, I've often thought I might want to teach at the college level or at least be involved in Student Affairs. The MTC program sounds like a good starting point, especially with all the financial benefits.

Today, I did visit another volunteer and we took a short hike to see the devil rock just outside of town. Legend goes that after the devil drained a huge lake there, in its stead he left an image of himself on a boulder. I'm a bit skeptical. Nov. 16
My new "assistant" showed up for class again today. Before I become to cynical, I have to admit class did go a lot smoother than normal. He was able to help the older kids with their more complicated homework, while I focused on the little tykes. Then after everyone finished homework, we did another drawing activity. The class lasted almost two hours and I didn't feel like pulling my hair out even once. Then afterwards, he asked if I could help him with his English. It's a give and take, so I assured him I could before any scheduled class. I was called gringa twice on my trip to the market this afternoon. I guess I didn't go brown enough.

Nov. 15
My kiddies love the idea of sending things through the mail. It's even more exciting when I bring in something written or drawn especially for them from the states. They talk about every little aspect. It's so enduring.
I rode my bike to Anta today. It was a gorgeous day with fragrant flowers blooming and clear views of the mountains. I got there faster than I thought at exactly 90 minutes. The wind at times was difficult to manage but it was mostly downhill, with a couple of short climbs.

I'm so excited about my Thanksgiving plans. I'm going with three other gals from my training group to Lima for a huge traditional meal at the Fargo's, my favorite embassy family. Then we're all heading to Ica, south of Lima to see the Nazca Lines. (Those designs in the desert that can only be seen from a plane that have no explanation how they got there.) We're also going to ride dune-buggies and go sand boarding. We might even get to Arequipa, second largest city in Peru.

Of course, nothing can substitute a Thanksgiving day with my family at home. At least, I'll be there for Christmas.

Nov. 14
I had an interesting development in my classes today. Not five minutes into my lesson on colors/numbers, the lady in charge of the comedor tells me that we have a new teacher who will be helping with math and reading. Great, I think, who's this invading my class? He sat at the end of the table and made comments while I explained the lesson. After class, he said that he was studying English and maybe I might could help him after class. Then it all started to click. He even pulled out a tape recorder and wanted to interview me for his research. Maybe I am just too jaded, but I'm thinking I'm over this part of PC too.

Kanela and I both have new hair dos. In honor of my 26th year, I dyed my hair brown. Had I known what a relief it would be not to hear gringa all the time, I would have done it sooner. And Kanela looks like a skint rat, I cut off all her curls.

Nov. 13
I think I have milked this birthday for all it's worth. The hike today was so great! We headed out early this morning, packs full of food and three dogs in tow. Kanela got in major trouble when she decided to chase some chickens, but she loved swimming in the river. We saw ruins, a gorgeous valley, and two sets of waterfalls. Plus we tossed the Frisbee and chilled in the sun. I just got back and I'm pretty sun burnt and exhausted, but it's a great feeling.
"Oh, it's just a chicken" would never be uttered by a campesino here. They immediately take advantage of the situation and demand some ridiculous price for their doomed animal. I've seen other PCVs dog's coral sheep and kill them. It was a scary sight. I don't think Kanela is quite as vicious. She just wants to prove to the chicken that she can drive it crazy, I think.
I unexpectedly got landed as tour guide for the newest group of PC trainees here in Huaraz. I've been showing them around town and explaining the ins/outs of being a PCV. It was fun last round, now I'm kinda over it. Of course, the newbies got the "always on the ball, enthusiastic, helpful, positive Lindsey" during their visit. I couldn't let them see what it's really like being an almost done, lackadaisical, some-what jaded PCV.
That's the secret to a happy and successful PCV, avoid boredom at all costs. Pack your schedule full of activity, even it that means organizing your sock drawer by color and style, keeping a journal with a log of books read, or conducting a trip to the market like it's an investigation in culture.

Nov. 12
I've been celebrating my 26th birthday since yesterday and it's not even until tomorrow. Yesterday for lunch, my friends treated me to a delicious ceviche and another group took me out for dinner and drinks. So, I'm letting yet another group take me out tonight for Chinese. Then tomorrow, I'm hiking/picnicking to "officially" mark the entrance into my late twenties. I should feel guilty, I guess, but I think it's just that PCVs love a reason to get together.
Nov. 10
I had to cancel my normal class with the kiddies because I had a site visit with the South American Safety and Security Director. I was more than nervous because he's a big wig in all of Peace Corps. Fortunately, he was super cool even swearing and talking as if his PC service just happened yesterday. I told him my thoughts on how to make our Youth Development Program more effective and my impression on PC as a whole. He frankly discussed what he saw as problems and strengths in our region. He saw a real problem with too many volunteers congregating in Huaraz, the regional capital. What I found surprising was that he didn't so much place blame on PCVs but on administration. He called it "lazy site development" and that the directors should put PCVs more in the back country so it's harder to just cruise into the capital city when you're bored. He praised my work and initiative and that of other PCVs. We also visited with my host family and he won them over. Reyda, my host mom, has been raving about the Gringo with the excellent Spanish since he left.

Nov. 6
The race was fantastic. Lima really surprised me and pulled out all stops. There were bands at every kilometer, supporters, water, port-a-potties, and even garbage cans. My favorite part was just at the end after a bit of a climb, I crested the hill to see a huge yoga group in position all clad in orange with the Pacific Ocean as their background. It was a powerful sight. I finished right at 63 minutes. Looks like high altitude training paid off, that's much better than my last race.

I'm such an already addicted running glutton. I've decided I want to do a half marathon and of course a duathalon. There's the Peachtree Roadrace in Atlanta in July. How cool would it be to travel around the states and participate in races.
Last night was movie night and I was suckered into a horror/suspense film called Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson. Surprisingly, it was really good and I recommend it. It's set in the South and the old lady's accent made me happy. My PCV buddies asked me to translate. Meanies.
Nov. 4
Today was Ultimate and I'm wore-out. I have much more of a competitive nature that I give myself credit. I hate losing! The craziest thing happened during the game. Some campesinos tied a cow to a pole by his horns. Then to our surprise, they began stabbing it right in it's spine to slaughter it! I have seen animals killed here but this one affected me like no other. It was so horrific. Honestly, I see why people are vegetarians, vegan, animal rights activists. The cow's suffering brought tears to my eyes.

I realize that slaughtering animals is a necessity in life in the campo. In the states, we get our steaks and chicken breasts all neatly packaged in the supermarket and don't really have to think about what was done to the cow or chicken. It was a good, but harsh, lesson for me. And one, I won't soon forget.

After the game, a running buddy wanted to jog back to town and I had to oblige. I've probably worked harder today than I should have considering I'm racing in just a couple of days. At least, I'll sleep on the bus.
After doing a small online survey, I started thinking about what I consider my biggest accomplishment. My first thought went to just last year when I worked in the landfill in Trujillo. When I did my first site visit and realized how challenging my job was going to be, I literally fell apart. I had honestly never encountered a situation where I truly didn't think I had it in me to do. Having challenged myself to stay, live, and work in such an environment, is definitely my biggest tangible accomplishment.

I began to look at the question in a different light. What about me, my persona, do I consider my biggest accomplishment? It would have to be that I had the courage to challenge the expected life in my small town and in the end challenge myself. I "got out", studied, traveled, and became an individual.

Nov. 3
My kiddies had a fantastic time watching our skit today. I don't think they expected us to break out the dance moves and they even called for an encore. Hard to call it work, when we have so much fun. It's the first time they saw me out of my serious teacher mode.

I try not to think too hard about coming home, so I don't get too excited too soon. Although, I have started a countdown - 47 days to go. I can't wait to see all my loved ones and get a taste of America. Plus, I'm looking forward to catching a few high school basketball games.

Nov. 2
I'm always searching online for job ideas and things I can do when I finish up with Peace Corps. I ran across what looks like to be a cool summer job working as a "Youth Adventure Leader" with AAVE Teen Adventure Summer Camps. They hire Returned PCVs to be a tour guides/chaperons for highschoolers on 8 week trips to Africa, Alaska, Australia, Ecuador, Thailand, Spain, etc. All expenses paid plus salary and benefits. The only thing I lack on the job requirements is certification as a Wilderness First Responder. I emailed some friends at home to see where they got their certifications and it looks like the place to be trained is in at Landmark in Cullowhee, NC.

Along with the Adventure Youth Leader application, I've investigated a Crew Leader position with the Vermont Conservation Corps, a non-profit youth, conservation, and education organization that works in state park management, trail maintenance, and backcountry construction. I would be leading groups of youth in adventure service projects.

My grad school applications are moving right along as well, but I did have an epiphany today. Why pay for grad school when there are programs out there that pay your way as you make a real salary? DFCS in Georgia has a similar program with Social Work at UGA and Ole Miss has one in Education. So, my search continues and I am just applying to them all. I'll decide which one to take when the time rolls around.

I bought my ticket home for Christmas today! It hardly seems real that I haven't been on US soil in a complete year. I bet I bug out when I get off the plane.

Nov. 1
Today is a huge holiday here, Day of the Dead. There have been lots of Peruvians eating and partying in the grave yards.

Halloween was a ton of fun last night. Rules were that you had to dress up like something Peruvian. We had all kinds of crazy costumes in attendance -- a market bag, an ice cream cone, Tupac Amaru (the revolutionist), a host dad, and even Miss World, this year's pageant queen from Trujillo, Peru. I, of course, was a hit in my campesina outfit. Walking to dinner, I got even more attention than the usual. I think they really thought I was a fair, as in light skinned, campesina. Men were staring and calling me, Blanca, not the usual Gringa.
Oct. 30I'm excited about the 10K. I can't believe it's a week from tomorrow. Looks like I'll have a couple of PCVs running with me, plus my favorite Embassy host dad. I thought I would get a Peru T-shirt and show some pride.

Some good news is that the book club I'm trying to get off the ground has it's first official meeting on Tuesday morning. I even talked our favorite cafe owner into giving a free round of coffee to all those that attend. It's the free stuff that reels 'em in.

Oct. 28
My running motivation is where it should be. I did the 50 minutes yesterday along my new track. Today's Ultimate was awesome. We had tons of new players show up, four guys from Lima, a couple more Aussies, a gal from Belgium, and our normal motley crew. The opposite team gave me a nickname, Atlanta Ghost, because I kept sneaking away and sprinting for the long toss.

Oct. 26
I made it back to Huaraz yesterday morning and have been busy since I put my bags down. My theater group headed to a small town, Mato, about three hours from Huaraz to spend the night (too far to get there this morning) and to perform for a health fair. Surviving on bread and water as we camped out in the floor of another volunteer's host family. Then this morning bright and early, we were welcomed in grand style at the local school. I worked the tooth brushing booth, while my comrades worked with exercise, hand washing, and nutrition. We were treated to so much food, including guinea pig. We performed our skit, enjoyed special dancing and poem reading. It's probably the only time in my life, I'll ever feel like a celebrity.

Oct. 24
I happened to catch a music video the other day of Tim McGraw and Nelly signing a duet. I was overjoyed. Two of my favorite music genres (country and hip hop) have finally converged. I felt sillywhen I wrote another country music lover PCV and she said I was way behind and that I should check out Yahoo Music. Since then, I've been streaming all the big hits and new music that's out. Sheryl Crow has dropped a new album. I'm going to see if I can find a pirated version. In the late afternoon, I went downtown to change my bus ticket. I thought I would go to the black market. Big mistake! After being warned, by two separate guys on the street that I should be careful, I figured it best to head back to the better side of town. So, I treated myself to a Frappuccino and some unneeded things at the mall.

Oct. 23
So, it's officially getting cold at home. I think this is probably the time of year that both Georgia and Peru somewhat have the same type of weather. For me, I'm enjoying a typical Peruvian Sunday. The country literally stops for this day of rest. It's so easy to do nothing and relax. The host family is working out very well. They are extremely laid-back and act like I'm one of the family. Having told me to make myself at home, I made a salad for lunch and washed my clothes intheir bonafide washer and dryer. Their book collection is to die for, well, in my opinion. It's a jumble of contemporary fiction and best-sellers.
Oct. 22
My mom actually just emailed me a list of things she "forgot" to buy while she was here, so it looks like I'll begin a painting, scarf, and pottery search. They finally found me a host family, one that hasn't hosted volunteers before. Their house is fantastic, of course, but the first round of pleasantries are a little stiff when you are trying to figure out what to do with someone, in this case, me, the PCV.

Peace Corps is so good at teaching a person how to fit in with any group of people. You really learn how to read situations and people and what to do to alleviate any discomfort. Yet anotherlesson I’ve learned from this experience.
There is something weird going on with all these hurricanes in the world. They just don't stop. My host mother was actually mentioning it to me when I was at home in Huaraz. She is evangelical as opposed to the majority who are Catholic and thinks it's God "taking care" of the world and it's wicked ways. I imagine that thought runs through the minds of the people in my hometown as well.
Lima folk tend to believe that pets get cold in this climate, so they have these little fleece sweaters they put on all the dogs. PC is always saying for us to "integrate" into life here, so appropriately I bought Kanela a red and yellow ruffled fleece, for those extra chilly morning walks. Kanela (and probably all my PCV pals) are going to kill me.

Oct. 21
I ran for a solid 60 minutes yesterday afternoon and it was the best thing that I could have done. Not only did it give me time to think, pray, and laugh at myself, but also it exerted my body. I even found somewhat of a "track" just up from my house in the nice section of town. It's paved, about a 10 minute loop with little traffic. To boot, I decided that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing and I'll just see about the rest as it becomes necessary to deal with it.

I made it to Lima around 5:00 this morning and things are going well. The weather isn't quite a sunny as Huaraz, but nonetheless a beautiful day. My dentist appointment didn't shed too much light. They took x-rays to begin a baseline to track any damage. In three months, I'll need another one to make sure they are healing properly. If not, something as severe as a root canal might be in order.

The big city has lots to offer for the weekend. I've already done some shopping for sandals and pants. Also, a PCV friend is in for medical checks as well, so we've already made plans for dinner and a movie. They haven't found me a host family (seems all the Embassy employees took vacations at the same time) as of yet, so I might be in a hotel. Either way, sounds like it will be a nice setup.

Oct. 20
I'm still driving myself crazy with worrying about grad school and my plans for after PC. I wish I could do like some people and just live for today in today, but I can't help but think about what I want to do and where I want to be or if anything I am doing today is what I should be doing.

It's like I have been walking around with a dark cloud over my head since Monday. Work is good, and I would like to say that it's that I'm bored, which could very well be it, but maybe it's more. OK, so I am going to think on it more and maybe come to a conclusion or at least a temporary one I can live with.

Oct. 19
My classes today were hectic. I had a crowd! We continued with our same lesson from Monday. The same little boy, who called me on the pencil sharpener incident, brought me a pencil after class that he had collected from a classmate who was taking it home with him. Maybe I didn't mess up too bad.

I really like the idea of facilitating adoptions and hope to get into the field back home in the states. It's challenging, of course, seeing so many little kids who need good parents, but rewarding in the end when you can make a match. I decided not to brave the clinic again today. Something about how the secretary said he would be in today, told me he really wasn't going to be. So, I decided instead to write to the PC doctor in Lima and hopefully get an appointment there. I'm a bit skeptical about the quality of care here in rural Huaraz anyway.

As for my teeth, three of them are completely numb and have been since the accident. I'm a bit worried. Especially after another volunteer told me about his friend who had a mouth injury where his teeth "died" and eventually fell out.

Oct. 18
In the afternoon, I was supposed to have a doctor's appointment to see about any lasting damage from my fall. I'm a bit worried since my teeth are still numb. So, I showed up at my scheduled appointment time of 4:00. I was told that the doctor was in surgery and could I please return in an hour. I did just that and waited another half hour to go to the third floor where I was told he would be another hour. I returned after the allotted time to have the secretary tell me he's not going to make it to the office at all. Oh, the joys of doctors and inefficiency. I'm trying it again tomorrow.

Yesterday with the kids of the community kitchen we worked on our numbers and colors in English, then drew a picture about ourselves. They each took their turn explaining their drawings.

I made somewhat of a boo-boo during class and I am still feeling guilty. It's not unusual for my kiddies to 'borrow' the supplies I bring to class and not return them. When my pencil sharpener went missing, I immediately asked who had taken it. I even ensued with a pocket search. When one of the kids told me I had taken it back and put in my pouch, I disagreed. Later in class, I went for my pen and what did I find but the pencil sharpener. I apologized to the entire class. I still feel bad.

In the late afternoon, I made it up to the orphanage where I played with the kiddies, showed off my battle wounds, and helped with dinner preparations. If I were in a different stage in my life, I wouldn't hesitate to adopt a little four-year-old girl named Luna. Instead, I have a friend at home that is actively trying to adopt internationally and hopes to do it in Peru, mostly because I'm here and can help out. Unfortunately, the orphanage has had some bad press lately about claims that they are selling children to foreigners. There were five different local TV stations knocking on the door in hopes of an interview with the director. I hope this doesn't impede any progress I can make for my friend.

Oct. 17
Today was my first day back to my tutoring classes with the community kitchen kids. With my family visiting, then my accident, I've felt all turned around. There's something very comforting about getting back to my normal routine.

I had a really good conversation with a PCV friend this morning. She stopped by just to sponge some lunch and coffee. We discussed how our lives here are so normal and that we are pretty darn lucky. With our return looming closer by the day, we talked about the things we take for granted that will be missed. Like today, taking a couple of hours to chat over coffee and visit with me, to hiking for hours with no real destination, to reading a good book just because we want, to perusing the market on a whim's notice.

In the states, in the same situation, we would, of course, have work and responsibilities. We might stop by a friend's house to chat, but we'd be rushed to the next place, job, etc. Which brought us to our responsibilities as people. Is it to be productive, work, make money? or is it to be happy, self-serving, caring, or to help others? Of course, I don't think these qualities are mutually exclusive. It's been important for me to see that it's a balance, one I hope I take home with me.
Oct. 16
Today has been a very productive day. It feels good to get something done. I woke up early and ran my 30 minutes. I had a 'first' happen today on my run. I'm on a downhill, cruising right along, when I notice a van stopped on my side of the highway. I see that a guy is standing behind the van. As I pass by, to my dismay he was, ummm, shall we say, exposing himself. Geez, the things people will do.

Around lunch time, my theater group met for our next production. It looks like we're going to do a rendition of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, Peruvian style in Layman's term Spanish. I'm the mother and really excited about dressing up like a campesina, complete with layered shirts, hat, and shawl. I've been needing a reason to buy a traditional outfit.

The book club I'm trying to get off the ground has decided on a first selection, The Time Traveller's Wife, and our first official meeting is at the end of the month. I didn't even pick the selection, a nontraditional love story.

Oct. 15
Today and yesterday we have had beautiful weather as well. I should have headed on a trek. You just never know with this climate. The skies have been clear, lots of great sunshine, then in the evenings it chills off enough that a fleece feels perfect. While I didn't run today, I did take a long hike with Kanela. I even contemplated going by the scene of the manhole accident, but the thought kinda freaked me out. Someone via email asked me what would I do if I only had a year to live. Here are my thoughts --First, I would return from Peru and spend about a month with my family and friends. Just doing normal things like shopping, eating out, cooking in, cleaning up around the house, reminiscing, and visiting.

Then, I would plan a huge around-the-world trip. I would invite my mom and brother to go with me to Europe. We would spend weeks exploring hot spots like Paris, London, Madrid, Berlin, and Venice. We would visit museums, backpack, drink great wine, and dance in the streets. I would want to spend at least a week in some castle by the sea. Where we could ride horses, hike, and take walks on the beach. Also, I'd like to spend a couple of weeks in the Swiss Alps skiing and being a snow bunny. From Europe, I would go (in no particular order) to Nepal, to Thailand, stop off in South Africa, then head for a couple of weeks to the Australian Outback. Finally making my way back to the United States, I would take my best girl friends and we would do NYC. We'd shop, see shows, and take walks through Central Park.

My dad, step-mom, step-sister, and I would take a motor home road trip. We'd see the Midwest, the Grand Canyon, and end up in Colorado where we'd spend a couple of weeks exploring the West. My mom and I would fly to California to see Hollywood, LA, and the Bay area. Finally, I would have a huge cookout, with a live band and all my favorite foods and drinks, and invite everyone I know. I would tell them all how much I appreciate and love them.

Oct. 14
I pulled myself out of bed this morning to make it up the hill to Ultimate. Of course, I was bombarded with "Oh my gosh, what happened to you?" I think I win the award for most creative black eye story. I could definitely tell my body had taken a beating and that I been pretty much sedentary all week. It was good to get the blood pumping again.

Oct. 13
I'm recuperating and feel okay, just a bit sore and tired. I look like I've been in a good fist fight. I can only imagine what people are thinking when I find them staring. My left eye is purple and swollen plus I have a cut just under my brow.

When my family was here we shopped all over Lima. I used a public restroom in one of the department stores and mistakenly left a new pair of shoes (that my brother had bought me) hanging on the door. Of course, when I went back to get them they were not there. And although my brother assured me something like that could happen anywhere, I still just wished I was at home in comfortable Georgia. I experienced the same emotion when I fell. I guess it's natural when things are going badly or you have a stroke of bad luck to wish you were at home.

Thankfully, I am in much better spirits and even laugh when my buddies tell me to watch out for manholes. Oh, the jokes I've endured!